Tuesday, June 9, 2009

skirt mishap

Remember this dress?  And how I was going to make a matching blue and white one for myself?  Well, after having about half of it cut, and my annoyance with the book that inspired it, I decided to go rogue and make myself a very simple skirt instead.  It's just like the red and white, only in blue.  It's a full circle cut on the bias, with it stitched up one side.  I made a casing and threaded through some elastic.  It took me about 10 minutes to make, and I really do want to make a ton of them.  I've decided an elastic waist isn't all that evil, so long as I'm feeling thin and use a really narrow elastic, like 1/2 inch.  The drape of this fabric is so wonderful, and I decided to keep the hem raw.  I really want to embroider/applique a clipper ship on it for some reason (if I can find a good free design).  I wore it to work yesterday with a navy cable-knit sweater, and I was happy and felt pretty.  

Except when I was walking from the parking garage to work, and realized that I wore a flimsy, unlined circle skirt on a very windy day.  Big City Downtown, I apologize for anything you may have seen.

Aspen Wildwood Fat Quarter Bundle Erin McMorris for Free Spirit Fabrics   

I started another quilt, too, as a wedding gift for my stepbrother using some of this and some of that from these two collections.  I know it's an unusual combination-- but the green and pale aqua are just about identical.  Pictures to follow soon. 

2 comments:

  1. I actually really like this combination. I can see where a lot of the fabrics would work well together.
    Was that you in that parking garage that flashed me? (kidding) Your skirt sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...I hadn't seen that Taffy Snow Flower yet... just great, one more collection I'm interested in collecting!

    ReplyDelete