Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sarah-- in progress

Well, the nine-patch top is finally finished. I ran into a kind of funny/very annoying problem. I used most of the nine-patches I just received from the Twiddletails swap, which was cool, but as Anina warned in an email, some are probably smaller than they should be. I'm not one of those super anal quilters, and really didn't think it'd be a big deal. I happily interspersed the swap blocks with my own, sashing away. Then I was attaching the strips together, and had a major problem-- things weren't off by a half inch or so, they were off by, like, 5". Too big to ignore. So, I decided to lay them out a little more organically:(It started to rain right as I took the picture)
Notice some of the crazy three-patches on the ends? It's one of those happy accidents, where I'm pretty thrilled with the way it came out, as non-linear as it is. I even added the pieced border, like the original picture. Two things I really dislike: long strips of sashing, and complicated borders. This had both, and I'm thinking it's worth it, every once in a while. This has over 150 different fabrics in the top. The only thing I had to buy specifically for this was the white (Kona Premium, my very favorite).
I'm thinking this will probably call for a scappy binding and backing, just to keep with the spirit of it. This will be going to live with my cousin Sarah in Michigan. She discovered my blog and was appropriately impressed, so we decided she needed a quilt of her own.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, it looks great!! My nine-patches kind of petered out, but I think I'm going to use what I have and make it into a lap quilt or something. The scrappiness works so well when it's all together!

    Liz @ teeny tiny quilts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, beautiful job! It looks great. I really like the white here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - that is beautiful! I love the layout. I can't believe some of the patches were off by that much!! Good for you for going with the flow. I would have freaked out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job on the quilt. I love it! Girl, you are fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty! I can't wait until I have all the patches from the swap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOOOOOve this and your oops makes it so much better. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i LOVE the off-set rows...that is a great idea I might be "borrowing" for a future quilt!

    ReplyDelete