Sunday, April 19, 2009

Zanzibar

Yesterday, while trying to remember the name of the coffee fabric Mary selected (Bistro by Deb Strain), I went to Moda's website to jog my memory. I looked at all the new collections coming out, and one made me pause: Zanzibar by Sentimental Studios. What you guys probably don't know is that I honeymooned in Zanzibar, one of the most magical places ever.
Zanzibar is a small island in the Indian Ocean, off the coast of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. When most people hear that I've been there, they assume-- as Sentimental Studios does-- that if it's sub-Saharan Africa, it must be a place to safari. Not so.
There are no giraffes, rhinos, big cats or elephants, as Moda's collection would like you to believe. It's an island with a strong Indian influence. That means rich silks, overdyed cotton, kangas, and bold prints. It's called Spice Island, as they grow and export spices like cinnamon, vanilla, and pepper. The main animals we saw were the colobus monkey (below) and amazing sea life.
So, I'm sorry for the kvetch. But really, I know there aren't too many Westerners who have experienced Zanzibar, and it's just a huge misnomer for Moda's collection. I ought to make my own Zanzibar-inspired quilt, no animal prints necessary.

1 comment:

  1. I have been to India twice, but never to Zanzibar. Sounds dreamy, though!
    And I collect coffee themed fabric...dangerously collect it, then don't cut into it! E-Quilter has a great selection of coffee themed fabrics. By the way.
    Would love to see your Zanzibar quilt posted here, should you decide to proceed!

    ReplyDelete