Saturday, April 11, 2009

Amy Butler's everything bag

This is what I've been spending most of my time on this weekend:I mentioned in my last post that the only project I really wanted to try out of the Little Stitches book was "The Everything Bag". I was hoping I'd be able to carry it without looking like I was carrying a diaper bag... but I'm thinking I'll hold on to this for a mom-to-be. I'm pretty happy with how it came out. I read a number of reviews of this online, and was most freaked out by the 2-layered peltex divider in the center. I didn't have a problem attaching that, but it was super annoying to maneuver around when I was attaching the lining to the outside. Here's the lining:
Yep, those are the same fish that I used here. Who would've thought that fish and pears would go together so well? I decided to use fabric for this that I already had on hand, after the sticker shock of the various interfacings. This required the previously mentioned Peltex, fusible fleece, and a mid-weight fusible pellon, setting me back nearly $40 at JoAnn. With a coupon. I carefully followed the pattern, except that I sewed on the side panels without having the outside pockets attached, so it's missing 2 pockets. I think it still has plenty.

If I was to sew it again, I would do a couple of things differently.
  1. I would use a shorter length of elastic in the lining pockets, because I think they gap a little more than I'd like.
  2. I'd make that silly divider not go quite out to each edge (is a divider really necessary in a diaper bag? Seriously, I'm asking-- I've never carried one).
  3. I'd forget about buying the expensive fusible fleece and use scraps of quilt batting instead. The fusible fleece didn't ever really fuse, and I followed the instructions.
  4. I might make the straps a little longer, though I guess it could get a little out of control.
I think that's about it. I'm crazy in love with the fabric, and that I managed to keep both of the directionals going the right way. I think it's about time I start working on a quilt, and get away from all of this baby crafting.

1 comment:

  1. You did a really nice job!! I would never have guessed it was a diaper bag just from looking at the photo, and would totally use it otherwise. And I actually think it looks better without any outside pockets which you say you left off. I think pockets on the outside would be detracting from the pear print.

    I have also used the fusible fleece once or twice for projects, and also prefer batting. And you could definitely leave out the divider...I would think the bag would be roomier that way!

    Are you sure you will hold onto it to give away to some Mom??? Looks more like a keeper for yourself!

    ReplyDelete