Wednesday, April 8, 2009

little stitches for little ones

Two book reviews in one week! I know I'm a little late with this one, but I just got it from my local library. I don't have children, but I'm at that magical age when people start to think that's a good idea. And I support that by making them things, typically quilts.

I love that this book has a double wire ring binding, meaning it'll lay flat on my sewing or cutting tables (or ironing board, wood floor, etc.) I also like that the "how to sew" information isn't right up front,and that the patterns are printed on heavier, almost glossy paper. For library books, and things I want to keep for a long time, that's extra important as I have to trace the patterns.
The multiracial kids that model in this book are rediculously cute-- just look at the cover.

I was flipping through the book and realized that everything looked great and fun... and that ALL of the fabric featured was by Ms. Butler herself. Makes sense, I guess, but other sewing books by fabric designers (Seams to Me and Weekend Sewing immediately come to mind) show other fabric designers' fabrics. I tend to gravitate towards stuff shown in fabric I like (really a basic concept, but true for me), I liked just about everything at first glance.

The Everything Bag looks like something I might be able to get away with carrying, and while I love the shape of The Modern Diaper Bag, it looks enormous on the model's shoulder. That's my one beef with Amy Butler bags-- they. are. huge. I made a Birdy Sling and it was very heavy with all that interfacing, and it went nearly to my knees (or at least felt like it).

I wasn't too impressed with the stuffed animals because they all looked a little flat. The last two projects, a photo album and brag book, looked like nice quicker options.

I'll probably try my hand at the Everything Bag, and see how the instructions go. What do you think? Have you made anything from this?

1 comment:

  1. I have had this book since it came out and still haven't made anything out of it. I DO like the everything bag though. I'm also thinking of making the easy empire waist top for my friend's little girl who's turning one.

    ReplyDelete