Monday, January 26, 2009

crisis averted

Last night, while my husband was in the middle of a cleaning binge, I decided to "do some laundry". Which meant putting the two quilts I had just finished in the washing machine, on a cold gentle cycle (forget about washing, say, clothes or sheets). Since they were little quilts, I decided this was a mini load. Fast forward about half an hour, when my husband sees that the washing machine has stopped, and the quilts are sitting in soapy water. I freak out, convinced that the bright colours were going to bleed all over the white. I take them out, and arrange them over the basement deep sinks, with the water dripping into four buckets below. Now, I'm convinced that I have ruined quilts AND need to buy a new washing machine. I go to maytag.com (highly recommended, by the way. They have some good diagrams in the FAQs) and see that the "mini load" was the problem. Apparently the agitation goes by weight. I go back downstairs, and change it to "large". Meanwhile, my husband can't believe I thought two quilts were mini. The quilts washed beautifully, and the washing machine is safe and sound. I don't know which made me happier: saving the quilts, or saving my washing machine?

1 comment:

  1. i think i know the feeling. i'm glad to hear that both the quilts and the sewing machine are fine. :0)

    ReplyDelete